RumbleSlap

just some rumblings....

My Photo
Name:
Location: Plainfield, Connecticut

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

'Tis the season.....or not?

With the Holiday season about to go into high gear, it is time for all of the NONCelebrants to come out of the woodwork and cry foul. Not so much over Thanksgiving, per se, but more to do about what December 25th is. I am already sick of hearing people whine about Xmas being a religious holiday. And while though it IS a religious holiday, Xmas has come to be more than the anniversary of the birth of Christ, but it amazes me that people can't see past that.

Like with all things, the Xmas holiday has evolved. I find it more to be an extension of the Thanksgiving holiday in that it is more of a time to reflect on the past year and to be around friends and family. Personally, for me, religion does not enter the holiday season.

So rather than me cry out against all those who DO celebrate Christmas as a religious day, I prefer to wish them a Happy Holiday. To those who are offended, I say the following:

Lighten Up!!!!!

I am saddened that we are now in a time that people get offended by the notion of someone wishing them welll. I can remember a time where you could say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" to perfect strangers and either get a smile or a warm wish in return. Now, it's safer to ignore our fellow man and to seem to not care about their spirits in fear of them lashing out and crying that I am "forcing" my religions or beliefs!!! This is AMERICA, where we once were proud of the "melting pot" or "salad bowl" society composition.

I guess at least around the holidays, we as Americans (and HUMANS, for that matter) should try to be a little more tolerant of our fellow man. Live and let live. If someone comes up to me and says "Happy Kwanzaa", or "Happy Hannukah", I am going to take that to mean "I hope you have a nice holiday"

So my message for the holiday season is "Lighten Up"!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Doz said...

Dec 25th is only a christian adaptation of the pagan festival of Yule anyway! Happy holidays! :)

6:28 AM  
Blogger DesertElephant said...

I think that the general consensus for the pasat 40 or so years is not that Christmas is a religious holiday, but more of a month or two of well wishing and rememberingto care for your fellow man. If we let THAT meaning slip down the PC slope, then we will lose the one time of the year where people generally switch off their asshole settings. So... Fuck the humbugs and Happy Holidays to all.

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home