RumbleSlap

just some rumblings....

My Photo
Name:
Location: Plainfield, Connecticut

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Getting Old

Sometimes I scare myself. I've always kind of thought of myself as kind of liberal in terms of my discretion toward the types of things I read, programs I watch, video games I play, and what I listen to. Now that I'm a father of two, I totally find myself getting more conservative in these respects. I am aware of what I am actually watching or listening to when my 3 yr old is around, and I find myself almost (I stress ALMOST) appalled at what is on tv and radio.

Now, violence and language pretty much don't offend me in the least, but everyone knows how young children are sponges, so I gotta be extra careful. I think it has been like 100 years since I have listened to the radio with my son in my car, because my radio stations of choice are pretty crude, and the conversations can be sexual in nature with mild profanity.

I am NOWHERE near ready to explain to any of my children what they are saying and why it is funny, cuz it is a FACT that if you think something is funny, so will a 3 yr old, even if he doesn't understand why.

So my point is, I feel like I'm "gettin' old" because of my knee jerk reaction when my son is exposed to these things. My son is old enough to figure out the computer and can even start some of his own games. The other night while feeding my daughter, he wanted to play on the computer. Usually I start the game for him, or I watch him just to make sure he can do it. Well, I had my hands full with a 6 week old who was hungry so I let him try by himself with me in the other room.

After about 10 minutes, he gives up and needs help. At this time, my daughter is full and fast asleep and I can help him. To my surprise, he not only was unable to start his game, but in the random clicking fashion native to Pre-readers, he somehow managed to launch Doom 3 and was attempting to join a Network game. I was shocked as well as impressed. Luckily, he hadn't encountered any "minions from hell" as of yet, as I'm not sure what his reaction would be. He would either think it was totally cool, or we would be entering a new stage called "Night Terrors"!!!

Already, I am thinking about having to really control what he has access to. I'm not too far from having to "lock down" internet usage. This bothers me a littel cuz I want him to enjoy the freedom of being a kid, but at the same time, don't want him exposed to questionable material.

My GOD, I'm becoming my parents!!!! Every adults fear!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger DesertElephant said...

Just be glad that he didn't accidentally access your Tiajuana Donkey Show AVI's while clicking around. Man would THAT tale a lot of explaining.

-Dubya

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home